How NOT to host a sale


I’m just going to put it out there, running a craft sale for my mothers Brownie unit isn’t exactly my ideal Wednesday night and I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t expecting anyone to turn up, let alone buy anything. So me being the dork I am took homework with me. Lucky or not, I didn’t need to.



Sorry for the rubbish photos, had to take them quickly whilst we were quiet. Athough it was a successful sale and we did make a lot of money for the RNLI, I still wanted to give my best tips on how NOT to sell items.



1.     Leave telling people to the last minute – this will lead to no one turning up and it will be a waste of time. Hobos may turn up though so at least you will have someone to talk to.
2.     Leave all the stock in one big box – yes it may be easy to put everything back in the car and saves time before the sale starts but it’s not good for those who are buying. Maybe it isn’t always the best to just think of yourself.
3.     Put signs up everywhere – yes people will find out about it and yes it will probably make people come but wow will people be sick of the thought of your sale. Plus you need to take them all down or they fly everywhere and that’s just embarrassing.
4.     Sit with your back to the customers – of course place yourself in the comfortable place, I located myself by the radiator, but as much as you may not want to do the sale, like I didn’t, it’s just rude and will lead to customers shouting to get your attention and who really wants that?
Trust me I tried to convince my mum it would work with me sitting in the car with the radio and heating on, she didn’t fall for it.
5.     Refuse to sell the products because you want to keep them – there isn’t really much else to say about this. I feel that if I did this my mum would make me buy it back from her…anyone else’s parent like that?

A very random post I know but I didn’t want to do a simple ‘how to run a successful sale’ post as there’s only so many of those you can read till you start to feel like an invalid!

Talk to you later x

Comments

Popular Posts