My fire experience and fire station visit


As my mum is a Brownie leader I often get taken to the weirdest and most random places but today I got dragged to a local fire station. Although I was meant to be there to help the brownies get their fire safety badge lets be real here, I was just there to look at hot fire fighters…this didn’t happen!
 
The girls got to use the hose! 
Once I got over the fact that there were no young or hot fire fighters there I started paying attention to see if there was anything I didn’t know. As I am someone who’s had to get the fire fighters to my house before due to a fire and having many fire protection assemblies there was little I didn’t already know but saying that there were a few facts that I thought I would share them with you as I found them interesting and could potentially save your life one day.
 
They exercise in-between calls!
  • Keep all doors closed, unless you’re in that room, as this stops smoke from travelling as easily and gives you time to get out.
  • If stuck in a room due to a fire, close the door and get a blanket/dressing gown/pillows or any thick materials and put them at the base of the door, as this will reduce the amount of smoke that gets into that room.
  • If you’re on the base level of the building and you cant get out through a door an obvious choice would be going through the window. If on any other levels and the fire is in the same room as you and you can’t get to the door they kinda suggest to throw a mattress and blankets etc out the window and if able use sheets or clothes and abseil yourself out the window as if all else fails its better to have a broken leg then being burnt or dying. This isn’t suggested often as it is very dangerous and is a last resort!
  • All it takes is three breathes of smoke to make an adult unconscious.
  • Fire fighters are able to tell if there is a fire on the other side of a door by using the back of their hands as that’s the most sensitive part and are able to feel the heat and where the fire is without opening the door.


What freaked me out the most was that there were 9 year olds who have said that they have played with fire as they were bored. The crazy! When I was that age I played with Barbies and used my imagination. What’s happened to this generation?


The ironic thing about my fire experience was that it was my dishwasher that caught on fire. A machine known for using a lot of water got caught on fire. Brilliant! Not going to lie though it was nice to see fire fighters and have them check that we were okay. One of them even offered to take me to bed and check that I was okay until I fell asleep(I was younger and he meant it in a nice way as my brother got back in the bath, my dad was talking to some firemen on what to do next and my mum was moving the dishwasher out the kitchen with the firemen).

Anyways…that was my home fire and fire station experience.

Talk to you later x

Comments

Popular Posts