Becoming older


Today is one of my best friends 18th birthday. As much as I love her and probably could do a whole post just on how much I love her, instead this blog is about growing up.

Although she was looking to being able to go out clubbing, with the one other over 18 friend we have, and having the more independence that comes with being an adult, she hates the idea of being an adult and the feeling of being older. So like most of the weird things she says (Megan I love you but wow you have a weird mind) this got me thinking about what it means to ‘get older.’


So many people say that as you age you become more mature. I on the other hand agree with Harry Styles. I know many people younger then me that act more mature then me and most of my friends, similarly I know people older then me, especially my mother, who is very immature. Just because you are getting older doesn’t mean you have to act boring and be ‘normal’ all the time. If you want to watch a Disney movie and eat ice-cream from the tub and make silly comebacks because you feel like it then do it. If you want to sit and read adult books with a glass of wine then go for it. If you want to do both all in the same day, then what is stopping you? Just caused you’ve aged another year doesn’t mean you have to change the things you do because you’re scared that someone will say ‘aren’t you 18 now, maybe you should act like it.’



I see this quote all the time on Pinterest and We Heart It. Although it is self explanatory it’s weird to think that we are never going to be this age again. When I was little I couldn’t wait to be a teenager, spend night with my friends and going on many dates…that sounds worse then it’s meant to. Now that I am a teenager and although I have spent nights with my friends and been on dates all I can think about is all the things I haven’t done and wont be able to do when I become an adult. As much as it may sound like I am going against what I said before but some things you just cant do as an adult, such as sneaking out the house and trying to get back without my parents finding out. Not that I advise that but come on, that is such a teenage thing to do!

Getting to the main point of the post. Just because we are constantly getting older this doesn’t mean we have to stop doing the things we love and act older. Yes in some circumstances we all have to be mature and do the sensible thing but just because you are middle aged or older this doesn’t mean you have to act it. Your age doesn’t determine who you are and shouldn’t change you. Remember that!

Talk to you later x

P.S.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!! I can’t believe you’re finally 18, feels like we’ve been talking about it for ages!

Isn’t she pretty!

Comments

  1. Now that I am older, does this mean I can't go knocking on doors and running away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, if you can run away quick enough then go for it! Just don't do it on my bedroom door as i will catch you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts