Wuthering Heights review and analysis

Sorry I haven't posted in two days I've been ill all week and sleep has been my main priority but moving on...

FINALLY! I’ve finally finished reading Wuthering Heights and yes I know it took me a long time to read but it’s a slow book!


I know that Wuthering Heights is so many people’s favourite books and I’m not going to say it is a bad book as it isn’t but if you are looking for a quick and easy read then this is defiantly not the book for you.

Wuthering Heights is about two houses, Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange and the families that live within them. The majority of the story is told by the servent Nelly who we discover from the start of the book is a keen story teller and an unreliable narrator. She is telling Mr Lockwood about the people in the houses and what has caused them to be like they are. The story starts by saying how Mr Earnshaw dies which is the start of Catherine and Heathcliffs 'rebel' stage. This causes Catherine to have to stay at Thrushcross Grange with the Lintons. The story continues with the conflict of Heathcliff and Catherine loving each other but not being able to be together due to Catherines pride and her going off with Edgar Linton. This is followed by Heathcliff running away but he comes back and marries Isabella Linton. Due to Catherine and Heathcliff still being in love with each other this results in Catherine making herself mentally ill, Isabella running away with her baby and eventually both the girls die leaving their children with their fathers. The two children grow up as good friends, which eventually becomes ‘love’, which Heathcliff notices and uses to get revenge on what has happened to him. The rest of the men in the novel die leaving young Cathy and Hareton her cousin to eventually fall for each other with the novel ending with them about to get married and be happy in love.

The book is great if you are looking at it from a gothic point of view as it has the elements of supernatural with the ghost sightings, the feeling of being trapped or isolated by being stuck on the moors, innocents girls and evil men etc. Along with this the characters both fit within and differ from the conventions of a girl in a gothic novel. You could say that Catherine is the dangerous predator opposing to Isabella who is more like the innocent victim whereas young Cathy is a mixture of the both.

The book I personally found difficult to read, this could be due to me seeing my friend perform it with his theatre group before we started studying it in school so I knew what was going to happen, but I wouldn’t say that I was disappointed in the book nor say I regret reading it. For my first classic novel I’m not surprised I found it difficult to read but analysing it in class really made me see how Bronte has really used the book to explore different ideas. As I didn’t like any of the characters this probably didn’t help and was why I didn't care who died, which most did, I didn’t feel upset, not that you could as sometimes you had to read a bit twice to see if the character had actually died as once they were dead Emily quickly moved on.

Overall I probably wouldn’t have read this book if I wasn’t currently studying it and I probably wont ever read it again but it is good back and in some elements I can see why people like it so much but personally not my favourite, 3/5.

What's your views on Wuthering Heights?
Talk to you later x 


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12813861/?claim=3kstyxjd7j8">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

Popular Posts