The Help book review


For one of my English coursework pieces I decided to write a feminists view on Kathryn Stockett’s novel The Help. I loved the film version, which is the main reason why I picked it to read. I rarely watch the film version before the book but I’m kinda glad I did for this one. The book is very tense and doesn’t hold back, yet with that in mind I did really enjoy it, as it’s not a book that I normally read.
Although I said I am doing a feminists view of the book I will publish more posts on the feminism side of it later on so keep an eye out as this is going to be a basic yet honest review.

“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”

The story is about a white girl named Skeeter who wants to write a book based on the truth of the black maids. The story is voiced by Skeeter, Aibeleen and Minny, two black maids, each telling their views on what is happening and their personal lives, such as the struggles that go on behind their closed doors. The story starts from Skeeter finishing graduation to her departure focusing on the process of her book.

“I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.”

The book makes you feel exhausted, excited, on edge, happy and broken. It’s a definite rollercoaster book. I advise being 16+ or mature for your age as it deals with many different extreme topics such as abuse, death and assault that I found difficult to get through at times especially as you become so attached to some of the characters. 

“Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought.”

I personally preferred Aibellen and Minny and cared more about their story compared to Skeeters but that could be due to me seeing the film which shows most of the things that happens to Skeeter so I knew what was going to happen whereas as many of Minny’s events aren’t shown often in the film, which could be a good thing (read the book and you will get what I mean). Although most of my favourite characters were the black maids I did have a soft spot for Miss Celia and felt she would have been a great role model at the time. Especially after her personal ‘reboot’.  

“Stuart needs "space" and "time," as if this were physics and not a human relationship.”

This book is full of AMAZING quotes that will be analyzed later in different posts. It’s a definite Pinterest worthy book!

“Great books give you a feeling that you miss all day, until you finally get to crawl back inside those pages again.”

This quote defiantly goes with this book! Overall I give it a 5/5, I think is a book you must read before you die. Sorry for such a quick and basic review but as I will be talking about it more in later posts i didn't want to feel like i was repeating myself.

Talk to you later x

Comments

Popular Posts