Book Haul - May 2017



I am such a book worm that I would happily spend £50 on books but think twice about spending it on food and necessities, it's actually becoming a problem. But that wasn't the problem with this haul as I was given a £50 love to shop voucher and knew the first (and only) place I needed to go was Waterstones. This came to just over £60 in total so I only needed to pay over £10 which to me is amazing. So without wasting any more time, these are the books I got...

HAPPY - Fearne Cotton

For many of us, life can feel like it's moving too fast with pressure bearing down on us from all sides - whether that's from school or work, family or social media. As a result, we find ourselves frazzled, lost and - too often - feeling blue. It's a subject close to Fearne's heart. Drawing on her own experiences and including expert advice, HAPPY offers practical ways of finding joy each and every day. Happiness isn't a mountain to climb, it's just one foot in front of the other on the path of life, and here you'll find little steps that will help make the differences that count. With workbook elements to help you start and end the day well; get in touch with your creative side; and find peace through written exercises, simple practical ideas and visualisations, these are daily tricks and reminders to help you unlock that inner happiness.
 

I ADORE Fearne so I knew I had to get this book. I also have struggled with depression so would love to know how she deals with it and if these methods would work for me.

Unfiltered - Lily Collins

In this ground breaking debut essay collection, featuring never-before-seen photos, actress Lily Collins - Star of Mortal Instruments and Rules Don't Apply - is opening a poignant, honest conversation about the things young women struggle with: body image, self-confidence, relationships, family, dating and so much more. For the first time ever, Lily shares her life and her own deepest secrets, proving that every single one of us experiences pain and heartbreak. We all understand what it's like to live in the light and in the dark. For Lily, it's about making it through to the other side, where you love what you see in the mirror and where you embrace yourself just as you are. She's learned that all it takes is one person standing up and saying something for everyone else to realise they're not alone. By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, Lily's honest voice will inspire you to be who you are and say what you feel. It's time to claim your voice! It's time to live your life unfiltered.
 

Another women I love is Lily Collins, she is a great actress, super funny and always looks amazing. As soon as I found out she wrote a book I knew I needed it...I haven't anything about it but I'm sure it's good.

Moranifesto - Caitlin Moran
 
When Caitlin Moran sat down to choose her favourite pieces for her new book she realised that they all seemed to join up. Turns out, it's the same old problems and the same old ass-hats. Then she thought of the word 'Moranifesto', and she knew what she had to do...
This is Caitlin's engaging and amusing rallying call for our times. Combining the best of her recent columns with lots of new writing unique to this book, Caitlin deals with topics as pressing and diverse as 1980s swearing, benefits, boarding schools, and why the internet is like a drunken toddler.
And whilst never afraid to address the big issues of the day - such as Benedict Cumberbatch and duffel coats - Caitlin also makes a passionate effort to understand our 21st century society and presents us with her 'Moranifesto' for making the world a better place. The polite revolution starts here! Please.


This is definitely a women's crush book haul. This women is perfect. I want to read all her books, articles and interviews and I still don't think I could get enough of this women. 100% women crush.

#GIRLBOSS - Sophia Amoruso
 
At seventeen, Sophia Amoruso decided to forgo continuing education to pursue a life of hitchhiking, dumpster diving, and petty thievery. Now, at twenty-nine, she is the Founder, CEO, and Creative Director of Nasty Gal, a $100+ million e-tailer that draws A-list publicity and rabid fans for its leading-edge fashion and provocative online persona. Her story is extraordinary—and only part of the appeal of #GIRLBOSS.
This aspirational book doesn’t patronize young women the way many business experts do. Amoruso shows readers how to channel their passion and hard work, while keeping their insecurities from getting in the way. She offers straight talk about making your voice heard and doing meaningful work.
She’s proof that you can be a huge success without giving up your spirit of adventure or distinctive style. As she writes, "I have three pieces of advice I want you to remember: Don’t ever grow up. Don’t become a bore. Don’t let The Man get to you. OK? Cool. Then let’s do this.”

Everyone has heard of this book, seriously who doesn't know about #girlboss? I loved her podcast and I love independent women so this book was 100% a must read for me.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini 

Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.
Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.
Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.
 

I've wanted to read this book for ages and I nearly watched the film before reading the book but I am one of those people who simply have to read the book first. The topics discussed are all hard hitting so I doubt this will be an easy read but I will let you know what I think. 

milk and honey - Rupi Kaur
 
The book is divided into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose; deals with a different pain; heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.

The poetry book that everyone and their dog has been talking about. I am not the biggest fan of poetry as in school I never seemed to pick up on the things that everyone else did but I've read some of Rupi's poems and loved them so needed to join the hype. 

So that was my book haul, I can't wait to dive in with these and let you know what I think. Book reviews will be coming soon!!

Have you read any of these books?

Talk to you later x 

Comments

Popular Posts