The Art of Being Normal - Book Review

I have been putting off writing this book review for too long now but it has got to the stage that I need to share what I thought yet so not ready at the same time. I want to scream about how much I loved this book and how everyone, especially those in the LGBT community should read this book but I only have once chance with the microphone and I don't want to mess it up so I haven't spoken and just gone over and over again in my head how amazing it was.

Okay lets begin...
 
I want to start by saying wow, just wow. If you haven't read this book but have been thinking about it, please drop whatever book you are reading and start this one. If you haven't been thinking about it, get ready to change your mind because my heart has never exploded with love or been broken so many times over something I have read so much in my life. It's one of those books that I didn't think would impact me so much due to not being even slightly in their position but oh how wrong I was. I have never read a book that has transgender characters, mainly cause there aren't many, and as this is a big topic I thought it would be a heavy read but really its actually an easy to book to read that will just punch you in the stomach on multiple occasions until you stop crying tears of either happiness or sadness and turn the page. Anyone else experienced that before?

Without spoiling the books plot, in simple terms, its a journey of two young lads on their acceptance for themselves and their friendship. They deal with crushes, heart break, poverty, family issues and self confidence in a way that was so relatable you couldn't help but want to give them a hug and say 'it's okay, it will get better'. I wouldn't say their were twists as such as you knew something was going to happen but the way that Lisa made the characters deal with these situations just helped to make the book perfect and although you knew what was going to happen it was still somehow a shock in a way. Does that make any sense?

Yet again without spoiling the book, my favourite part was 100% them on the train and their 'night out' because I just couldn't help myself from smiling and wanting to be their and tell David/Katie that he should always feel like this and that Leo needs to remember this night no matter what happens and simply join in with their drunk adventures instead of letting him mind wonder.

Another clever thing that Lisa did was create alternative endings allowing you as the reader to decide how it ends. To me I liked this cause the ending can make or break a book for me and although I can see why some people may not like this, for me this was the best way she could have ended the book as it allows the reader to decide what happens to the characters based on how well you connected with the character or even what you relate to the most.

For anyone who is LGBT, whether you are struggling to come out or simply want more books you relate to I highly recommend The Art of Being Normal, (especially if you are a teen) as I really think this would help. I have recently lent the book to my best friend who is gay but hasn't officially come out as gay to her family yet and as soon as I started talking about it she picked it up and put it in her bag. I will let you know what she thinks.

Have you ever read the book? I would love to know your thoughts.

Talk to you later x


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12813861/?claim=3kstyxjd7j8">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

Popular Posts